Re: About our GSoC projects

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: About our GSoC projects
Date: 2010-08-18 08:53:39
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 10:37, Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> Le 18/08/2010 10:25, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 9:20 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
>>
>>> You are supposed to work by having one "his branch" on his repo and
>>> one "gleus branch" on your repo. Then you merge with his, and if you
>>> make changes, he merges with yours, back and forth until you agree on
>>> something that's good. At that point, you merge this (with squash,
>>> please :P) into the main repository and push that.
>>

> The "gleus branch", as you named it, should be a fork of "his branch",
> right?

You don't fork branches, you fork repositories.

Your repository with "gleus branch" in it can be either a fork of his
repository or a fork of the main pgadmin mirror. I would recommend
forking the main mirror.

Or heck, it can also be your clone of the main pgadmin repository -
doesn't need to have anything to do with github at all, as long as the
ancestry is the same (which it will be since we push a clone there)

>> That seems like a nice way to waste a lot of time.
>>

> Yeah. I'm afraid all this will be a lot of work. Luis already worked
> with git, so he's at least a bit familiar with it. Adeel didn't AFAICT,
> so he'll need to learn all that. I also will need to learn a lot of it.

Right. So you can start off in the "half way to git" method with
having two ppl committing on the same branch :)

>>> Dave, any comment on that?
>>
>> The same account seems fine to me.
>>

> +1

Ok, I've converted postgres to an "organization" on github and added
pgadmin3: http://github.com/postgres/pgadmin3

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/