Re: Transferring Data between databases

From: Joshua Tolley <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transferring Data between databases
Date: 2010-05-22 23:40:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Sat, May 22, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:
> On 2010-05-21, Carel Combrink <s25291930(at)tuks(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I want to do the following: When data gets added to a table in one
>> database a subset of that data must be sent to another database,
>> perhaps on another computer. The primary database will not always be
>> connected to the secondary one and must perhaps (not that urgent now)
>> send the data (old and new) to the secondary database as soon as they
>> are connected.
>>
>> Can I write triggers or something that will do this inside the database?
>>
>> I know Sloni-I and other software does replication but that is not
>> really what I need (I think). I read up on some of these software but
>> can't seem to find what I am looking for.
>>
>> If someone can point me in the right direction it will be appreciated.
>
> Have a look at slony1, I'm not saying use it unless you find it
> suitable but, it works on a similar principle and will atleast give
> you some ideas.

When you say you want to copy a subset of your data to another
database, I wonder what you mean exactly. Slony, as well as
alternative trigger-based replication options such as Bucardo and
Londiste, should all allow you to copy data from only some of the
database tables. If you're interested in transforming the data during
the copy process, or replicating only certain rows of the database, I
suspect Bucardo would work well. I don't know of a way Slony could do
that, and don't know about Londiste. Bucardo is designed to support
flaky networks.

--
Joshua Tolley / eggyknap
End Point Corporation