Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hstore ==> and deprecate =>
Date: 2010-06-09 13:33:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> wrote:
>>> What about a WARNING at CREATE OPERATOR time?
>>
>> That's what the patch I sent already does.
>
> Great :)
> I read comments in the email instead of the commit…
>
>> I'm not following this part.
>
> I'm wondering if deprecating => as an SQL operator, we should too
> deprecate its usage in input text for hstore. I don't think so.

I don't think so, either. The most someone might want to do is make
==> work wherever => does now, but I wouldn't want to start monkeying
with that without some input from Andrew Gierth; and I don't think
it's a stop-ship issue for 9.0.

Unless there is more than one vote for some alternative other than
what I've done here (which so far there isn't), I'm going to add some
docs to this patch and commit it later today. Because the SQL
committee has standardized an incompatible syntax, there are no
perfect alternatives here.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise Postgres Company