Re: Railroad diagrams, a-la sqlite

From: Thom Brown <thombrown(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Railroad diagrams, a-la sqlite
Date: 2010-07-17 20:19:07
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 17 July 2010 05:33, Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com> wrote:
> Has everyone seen the "railroad diagrams" sqlite use in their docs? http://www.sqlite.org/lang_createindex.html , as one example.
>
> Would it be nice to have the same sort of format in the postgresql docs? (Yeah, I'm volunteering, if people think they're a useful thing, 'cos I think they'd add a lot to our documentation.)
>
> Cheers,
>  Steve

While they're quite attractive, I actually see them being more
confusing than helpful personally, but I could be wrong. I reckon
there might be clearer ways of representing statement options. The
real problems with the railroad design come when there are lots of
references to other diagrams, and you end up with about 10 just for 1
statement.

Is there a way of testing their usefulness?

Thom