Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Link to zip/tar binaries web page
Date: 2011-01-21 13:01:38
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Jan 19, 2011 at 18:15, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> I have just learned that EnterpriseDB provides both platform-specific
> binaries and platform-specific zip/tar files, which are hosted here:
>
>        http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/pgbindownload
>
> We link to that page from our Windows download page:
>
>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/windows
>
>        Advanced users can also download a zip archive of the binaries,
>        without the installer.
>
> but not from any of the other platform web page, like Linux:
>
>        http://www.postgresql.org/download/linux
>
> That seems inconsistent, and I had to help someone yesterday who was
> looking for the Linux tar file.
>
> Should we make a change to have these be more consistent?

I guess we could. Did you run across this by accident, or did somebody
actually ask you? I havent' heard a single person *ever* ask for
binaries-no-installer for Linux - given that you already have the
choice of a proper platform package, or a gui installer, or source
(which is much easier to work with on Linux than on Windows, making it
a much more reasonable option)

There are already painfully many options on that download page...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/