Re: Postgresql 9 replication

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgresql 9 replication
Date: 2010-11-11 11:42:16
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 11 November 2010 11:28, Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Basically we need replication to be done to a second machine in the
> instance that the master would fail.
>
> I am trying to test streaming replication yes but I am not yet sure
> about the hot standby though. I am still awaiting confirmation on that.
>
> I just need to get the replication working and a working document setup
> for it.
>
> Thank you for the quick response by the way.

Well that wiki page I linked to should help get you up and started quickly.
It covers the essentials.

You can also try:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Streaming_Replication#How_to_Use

Bear in mind that if you have a pre-existing cluster you're trying to
replicate, you need to perform a base backup first, which is outlined here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-BASE-BACKUP

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion