Re: querying the version of libpq

From: "Massa, Harald Armin" <chef(at)ghum(dot)de>
To: Dmitriy Igrishin <dmitigr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: querying the version of libpq
Date: 2010-10-14 12:08:56
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Dmitriy,

> Again, I suggest PQlibVersion() or PQversion() instead of PQlibpqVersion().
>
> Why this "pq" redundancy in name? Waste of bytes.
>
> the first PQ qualifies the name-space "those are PostgresQl functions".
the library is called libpq, and we are explicitly asking for the version of
libpq; not of any other library that may or may not be connected with libpq

(in some compilations there is linkage to some system libraries, which have
versions of their own. in other implementations there are wrappers around
the libpq-libraray, which have their own version to. Oh, and there is
open-ssl which may be mixed into the whole party)

So 2 bytes of source-code / linker redundancy in times where smartphones
sport 12Gigabyte should be payed....

Harald
--
GHUM GmbH