Re: BUG #5816: index not used in function

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: frank <frank(at)ros-i(dot)com>
Cc: Korry Douglas <korry(dot)douglas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5816: index not used in function
Date: 2011-01-12 16:09:45
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 9:07 PM, frank <frank(at)ros-i(dot)com> wrote:
> More can be said, but why one wants to defend a defect is quite beyond me.

I guess the question is whether you want to solve your problem or
improve PostgreSQL. If you want to solve your immediate problem, the
advice given thus far is probably enough for you to do it. If the
goal is to improve PostgreSQL, that's a worthy goal and I don't think
anyone here would say otherwise. The current behavior is not ideal,
but improving it is not easy.

When people say "it's not a bug", they don't mean "this is the best
possible behavior anyone can imagine"; they mean "we know that it
works this way and we haven't actually figured out a way to do any
better yet without causing other problems".

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company