Re: drive failure

From: raghu ram <raghuchennuru(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tony Capobianco <tcapobianco(at)prospectiv(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: drive failure
Date: 2011-03-31 15:42:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 7:11 PM, Tony Capobianco <tcapobianco(at)prospectiv(dot)com
> wrote:

> We were able to determine through a few of our queries that an index was
> corrupt. We did this through the process of elimination however. As a
> result, I have two questions:
> How can I determine that we have a corrupt index?

Yes, this can be achieved by block level checking with pg_dump utility::

pg_dump -d <DB Name> -p <Port> -v >/dev/null

If there is any corrupted indexes or tables exists in the Database, it will
throw an error with block number.

> How can I determine which datafile (5875980.x) is related to which
> tablespace?

Get oid & Name of the tablespace using below command:

select oid,* from pg_tablespace;

Once you get the oid,tablespace name, you can easily identify the which
datafile is related to which tablespace in "pg_tblspc" directory.

--Raghu Ram