Re: Inconsistent index links

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inconsistent index links
Date: 2010-09-02 08:33:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

On 1 September 2010 19:57, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Thom Brown's message of mié sep 01 14:21:59 -0400 2010:
>> The avg function is confusingly indexed only as "average", which
>> shouldn't really be a problem... unless someone types in "avg" into
>> their browser's find box.  Maybe this should have "average" as a
>> primary term and "avg" as a secondary (with Pavel's 'median" function
>> to be added later).
>
> I think we should have index entries for function names, aggregate or
> Hmm, or maybe the other way around, so that all aggregates are listed
> together in the index?  Not sure.  (but surely we don't want to have all
> functions lumped together in a single "<primary>function</>").

I think the problem with that is if someone's scrolling down the page
looking for a function name alphabetically, they probably won't find
it if it's been bundled into a group. If they did want to see a list
of aggregate functions, they already have the option to look up
"aggregate functions > built-in" in the index.

> For some reason I don't like <primary>average</><secondary>avg</>, but
> then I don't like the current <primary>average</> either.

We could just replace that with <primary>avg</>, because at least then
it can be found by a browser's Find functionality.

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion