Re: possible memory leak in Server Status window

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
Cc: Julius Tuskenis <julius(at)nsoft(dot)lt>, pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: possible memory leak in Server Status window
Date: 2011-02-12 14:22:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Sat, Feb 12, 2011 at 9:23 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:
> I know Peter and Dave talked about some stuff I actually didn't
> understand, but it seems it would take some time to do. So, I prefer
> having this simple and effective fix right now :)

:-)

We were talking about smart pointers - basically, instead of doing
something like:

obj *foo = new obj();
<many lines of code and exit points>
delete foo;

You might do:

pg_smartptr<obj> foo;
<many lines of code and exit points>

Note the lack of a delete - that's the point here; it's not needed
because as soon as the smart pointer goes out of scope, it's
destructor will delete foo. That means you don't have to remember to
include the delete in each of the many exit points of the code.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_Acquisition_Is_Initialization

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com