Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: "Dr(dot) Peter Voigt" <pvoigt(at)uos(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.0 (x86-64) and Windows 7 (x86-64) - Unable to install
Date: 2010-10-07 09:02:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Oct 7, 2010 at 9:43 AM, Dr. Peter Voigt <pvoigt(at)uos(dot)de> wrote:
> Although I have not yet received any feedback from the BitRock
> support,

I closed the ticket with them - we know what the problem was in your
case, and we have enough info to try to put some additional checks in
the installer to prevent it biting people in future releases (or at
least give a more useful error message).

> I have meanwhile done some further tests. Most important
> result is that the installer finished flawlessly after I changed the
> "TEMP" and "TMP" variables back to the default
> "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp".

Thats good to hear.

> I am interested to hear how the installer is intended to handle links
> under Windows, because a link might also be contained within a
> non-default installation path.

It does handle the links OK, it's just that those particular ones have
an unusual ACL on them which caused our pre-installation actions to go
haywire. If such a problem occurs with the installation path, you
should get a regular "permission denied" error.

Regards, Dave.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com