Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: wrapping up this CommitFest (was Re: knngist - 0.8)
Date: 2011-03-01 20:21:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:45 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> I'd say that if there's a plausible chance that Sync Rep will be
>>> committable by the end of *this* week (and I mean Friday not Sunday),
>>> I'm willing to wait that long for it.  Otherwise, it's 9.2 material.
>
>> I am quite sure that Simon will be able to get something committed
>> ahead of whatever deadline we choose to set.  Whether that commit will
>> be up to our usual standards is another question altogether.  The last
>> version posted to the list was trivial to break, and that was several
>> weeks ago.
>
> Yeah, there's that.  It's difficult to believe that anything committed
> in the very short term wouldn't be rushed to completion rather than
> really ready.  That holds whether the deadline is this week or two
> weeks out.

Yep.

> The other issue is that, as Robert says, we have already cut Sync Rep
> more slack than any other patch in the commitfest.  It does not seem
> fair to hold up the release process another week or two for it, even
> assuming that we get a high-quality feature at the end of that.

Yep.

> If we do hold up the release, I'll probably go back and reopen the
> postgresql_fdw patch as well as btree_gist.  So I won't run out of
> things to do.  But I'm not terribly satisfied with the decision-making
> process here.

Well, we haven't actually made a decision here yet. We're just
talking about what decision we ought to make. Frankly, I avoided
trying to mark Sync Rep Returned with Feedback mostly for the reason
that I knew Simon would object, and his commit bit gives him a certain
degree of latitude to ignore the CF process anyway. But I am really
not that keen on having Sync Rep go in and then spending another month
fixing all the bugs, and that's what I think will happen.

Bruce has been going through the open items for the past several weeks
(at least) and tells me that he hasn't found very much. I'm not sure
what your thought is on what's required to get us from here to beta,
but I am thinking it could be done in a few weeks. With a concerted
effort and some sustained focus, I don't see why we could get this
release out the door in, say, three months. Taking in a feature
that's going to take another month to sort out is going to push that
out, and I am really not excited about another round of
spend-all-summer-waiting-for-people-to-get-back-from-vacation-and-release-in-September.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company