Re: tuning postgresql writes to disk

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tuning postgresql writes to disk
Date: 2011-02-09 14:39:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 7, 2011 at 7:43 PM, Vinubalaji Gopal <vinubalaji(at)gmail(dot)com>wrote:

> Thank you. I will try to run some performance tests using the async
> commit option. Is there an easy way to find the lost transactions or
> does it have to be handled by the application?

By definition, your application has to be able to detect it. If the DB were
able find them, they wouldn't be lost.

Personally, I turn off synchronous commit on a per-connection basis based on
what my application is doing. When I insert or update data, I need to ensure
it is there; when I move data around or do batch processing on it, it is
usually a restartable operation.