Re: pitr question

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pitr question
Date: 2010-10-13 15:36:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 11:17 AM, Geoffrey Myers
<lists(at)serioustechnology(dot)com> wrote:
> 'In any case the hardware architecture must be the same — shipping from,
> say, a 32-bit to a 64-bit system will not work.'
>
> Is this specific to the hardware?  That is to say, can I use pitr wal
> shipping from 64 bit hardware to 64 bit hardware, where one machine is
> running a 32 bit OS and the other is running a 64 bit OS?

It applies to the OS. The OS determines the sizes of integers,
padding alignment, etc. Running 32-bit OS on an amd64 class processor
is the same as running it on a x86 class processor. Other processors
(such as PowerPC) may behave differently, I don't know.