Re: Client-Side triggers possible?

From: Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Client-Side triggers possible?
Date: 2010-12-27 15:27:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

> you should take a look at that :
> http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/83/listennotify.html

Thanks that was exactly what I was looking for :)
Unfourtunatly there's still polling required, it seems the jdbc driver
has to issue requests in order to get the notifications.

> If you funnel all access through a client-side framework, yes you
> can do that.  This, however, has very little to do with the database
> which lies behind such a framework -- so a list for a particular
> database product may not be the best place to ask this question.

Listen/Notify was what I was looking for, and it is provided by
postgresql and its jdbc driver, so I couldn't have asked at a better
place.

I "only" need this for a university project where we have to solve the
same solution one time with a tuple spaced middleware and one time
using convetional technologies like RMI or databases.
I wouldn't go down that router otherwise ;)

Thanks a lot, Clemens