Re: Client-Side triggers possible?

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Clemens Eisserer" <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Client-Side triggers possible?
Date: 2010-12-27 15:20:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Clemens Eisserer <linuxhippy(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Is there any way to get clients notified about data-changes
> without polling?
>
> What I would need would be a client-side equivalent to triggers,
> e.g. if one client inserts into a table all other interrested
> clients should somehow get notified.

If you funnel all access through a client-side framework, yes you
can do that. This, however, has very little to do with the database
which lies behind such a framework -- so a list for a particular
database product may not be the best place to ask this question.

Be warned that incoming programmers will tend to feel constrained by
having to go through your framework rather than using their favorite
tools and techniques. Don't try this unless you have managers who
are willing to hold the line on this. For that matter, make sure
that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages -- there are trade offs
here.

-Kevin