Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Proposed Windows-specific change: Enable crash dumps (like core files)
Date: 2010-11-22 14:15:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 6:37 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> Do we want to backpatch it into contrib/? Adding a new module there
> seems kind of wrong - probably better to keep the source separate and
> just publish the DLL files for people who do debugging?

If this works without changes to core, I see little reason not to
back-patch it into contrib. Our primary concern with back-patching is
to avoid doing things that might break existing installations, but if
there aren't any core changes, I don't really see how that can be an
issue here. It seems to me that it's probably simpler for us and our
users to keep the debugging tools together with our main tree.

However, I am not clear what benefit we get from moving this into core
in 9.1. If it's still going to require a full postmaster restart, the
GUC you have to change may as well be shared_preload_libraries as a
new one.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company