Re: [HACKERS] Moderator on Committers?

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, simon <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, scrappy <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Moderator on Committers?
Date: 2010-08-16 08:10:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-www

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 16:29, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar ago 10 10:05:25 -0400 2010:
>> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com> writes:
>> > I think the spam slipped through because it was sent with a fake "from"
>> > as the address of the mailing list itself. Marc has already closed the
>> > hole per my complaint a couple of days ago. However, I think the committers
>> > list could certainly do without the "subscription hint" filter. Marc,
>> > can you disable that bit on the committers list or make me an admin
>> > for that list so I can do it myself?
>>
>> +1 ... just make sure you don't disable the "Security:" filter.
>>
>> (Possibly better would be to bypass those filters only for messages
>> sourced from the CVS daemon, if that's possible.)
>
> Possibly the script that sends the email from CVS could use the list
> password somehow so that the email is automatically authorized?  (Of
> course, the password must not leak from there)

Yikes. That seems way more complex than called for. (Even if it's
possible - which I doubt it is, at least without making it a *lot*
more complex).

If we can get rid of the admin commands filter, every committer's
email should be on that list anyway. And if it gets moderated for that
reason, it's easy enough to add with nomail. We don't have that many
committers after all...

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/