Re: disposition of remaining patches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: disposition of remaining patches
Date: 2011-02-23 18:14:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:05 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of mié feb 23 14:54:02 -0300 2011:
>> On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 5:47 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> > 16. synchronized snapshots.  Alvaro is working on this one.
>>
>> Lots of discussion of this one, but current status is not clear to me.
>>  Alvaro, are you working on this actively?
>
> I am.  I'm not sure if it's still reasonable to get into 9.1, given that
> it needs to be rewritten from almost completely from scratch.

Well, if it gets punted, I won't be too sad, since the pg_dump patch
to actually use this functionality for something useful already got
pushed off. If you can commit something in a timely fashion that is
also high quality, great, but if not, I don't see it as a
show-stopper. The highest priorities IMO are writeable CTEs and
synchronous replication. I doubt that there would be majority support
for prolonging this on the basis of any other single patch, though I
might be wrong about that.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company