Vaccuuming every db in cluster fails to eliminate "execute a full-database VACUUM in..."

From: Robert Burgholzer <rburghol(at)vt(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Vaccuuming every db in cluster fails to eliminate "execute a full-database VACUUM in..."
Date: 2010-10-10 11:21:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

So, I have neglected to do the vacuum on every db for a long time, and
this is a very high volume cluster. The db stopped executing requests
this morning, and reported:

ERROR: database is not accepting commands to avoid wraparound data
loss in database "vwuds"

So, I did some googling and found I needed to shut down the
postmaster, enter single user mode, and vacuum each and every db in my
cluster. I did so (even though only about 4 of the 22 databases
actually get any appreciable use), but am still hampered by this
error.

Using 8.3.7 on CentOS. I am really in a bind, obviously, as my system
is currently unusable (for what I do with it that is).

Thanks in advance,
r.b.

Robert W. Burgholzer
http://www.findingfreestyle.com/