Re: pgtune

From: Amitabh Kant <amitabhkant(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgtune
Date: 2010-08-09 11:21:53
Lists: pgsql-general

2010/8/9 Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>

> I just found out about pgtune and am trying it out on my server.
>

> I have 2.5 questions:
>
> 1) Are these settings the maximum that the server will handle, if it is
> strictly dedicated to postgresql? Meaning if I am running other stuff on
> the server as well, this would be a bad idea.
>

> 1a) If I have some intense plpython stored procedures, do they run in
> the postgresql memory space (ie using the memory settings from the
> postgresql.conf, or do they run under their own memory space and then I
> would have to take that into account when allocating postgresql memory?
>

> 2) If it sets my max_connections to 80 and would like to set it at 300,
> what would be the appropriate setting to lower at its expense?
>

> Sim

Look at the options available in pgtune

-M TOTALMEMORY, --memory=TOTALMEMORY
Total system memory, will attempt to detect if
unspecified
-T DBTYPE, --type=DBTYPE
Database type, defaults to Mixed, valid options are
DW, OLTP, Web, Mixed, Desktop
-c CONNECTIONS, --connections=CONNECTIONS
Maximum number of expected connections, default
depends on database type

For question 1, you can set the type of server you want. For question 2, you
can pass the -c parameter and it would adjust the other parameters. Not sure
of 1a though.

Amitabh Kant