RE: [HACKERS] Re: Problems compiling version 7

From: "Culberson, Philip" <philip(dot)culberson(at)dat(dot)com>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Travis Bauer <trbauer(at)indiana(dot)edu>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Re: Problems compiling version 7
Date: 2000-05-10 22:04:44
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

This reminds me of a problem I once had.

I was trying to "make" the documentation, but zcat kept failing because the
Solaris version does not work the same as the GNU version. So I installed
the GNU zcat, ran configure again, but still make was failing because of
zcat...

I found that once configure has found an item it is looking for, it caches
it in config.cache. From then on, even if you do a "make clean", configure
still uses things from config.cache.

To have configure essentially start from scratch and "re-find" things, you
must run "make distclean", which will also delete config.cache. After doing
this, and running configure again, everything worked fine.

Hope this helps,

Phil Culberson
DAT Services