Re: How to tell what your postgresql server is doing

From: "Tambet Matiisen" <t(dot)matiisen(at)aprote(dot)ee>
To: "Jeff Frost" <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to tell what your postgresql server is doing
Date: 2005-04-20 19:27:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

Stats are updated only after transaction ends. In case you have a really
long transaction you need something else.

To help myself I made a little Perl utility to parse strace output. It
recognizes read/write calls, extracts file handle, finds the file name
using information in /proc filesystem, then uses oid2name utility to
translate file name to PostgreSQL relation name. See attachment.

It works well enough for me, but I didn't take time to polish it.
Basically it works with Linux /proc filesystem layout, expects
PostgreSQL data directory to be /home/postgres/data and oid2name in
/usr/lib/postgresql/bin. Usage is pgtrace <pid>.

Tambet

Attachment Content-Type Size
pgtrace application/octet-stream 1.5 KB