Re: A briefing is needed...

From: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Alexey Borzov" <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A briefing is needed...
Date: 2004-01-15 07:15:47
Lists: pgsql-www

On Jan 15, 2004, at 4:41 AM, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Dave Page wrote:
>> That's not exactly the case. It can be easily redesigned, however we
>> have other priorities right now which are more difficult - eg.
>> Internationalisation.
<snip/>
> The same mistakes have
> been made before, see catgets, Java properties, various similar
> key=>string attempts. Check out WML and gettext for better approaches.
> Not only do they fulfill the criterion of not separating text from
> context, they also have tool support and are actually used in
> situations similar to ours.

Have you looked at xml:tm (translation memory) or XIFF at all? There's
a recent article at xml.com about it
(<http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2004/01/07/xmltm.html>). I don't know a lot
about it, but am wondering if it wouldn't be another option. I don't
know much about WML either, but am off to learn!

Michael Glaesemann
grzm myrealbox com