Re: Single-file DBs WAS: Need concrete "Why Postgres

From: Andrew Rawnsley <ronz(at)ravensfield(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single-file DBs WAS: Need concrete "Why Postgres
Date: 2003-08-22 19:48:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 12:07 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Single-file databases also introduce a number of problems:
>
> 1) The database file is extremely vulnerable to corruption, and if
> corruption
> occurs it is usually not localized but destroys the entire database
> due to
> corruption of the internal file structure. Recovery of raw data out
> of a
> damaged single-file database inevitably requires specialized tools if
> it is
> possible at all.

<snip>

Having fallen victim to Oracle crapping in its own nest and doing this
exact thing, and having to drop some stupid amount of $$ to Oracle for
them to use their "specialized tool" to try to recover data (which they
really didn't do much of), I concur with this statement.

Boy, was that a lousy experience.