Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram

From: Luke Koops <luke(dot)koops(at)entrust(dot)com>
To: 'Nikhil Sontakke' <nikhil(dot)sontakke(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #4958: Stats collector hung on WaitForMultipleObjectsEx while attempting to recv a datagram
Date: 2009-08-04 15:17:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

There was no firewall in place, or more correctly the Windows Firewall is configured to be off. There is no other firewall installed on the system.

To get to this point in the code, the return value from WSARecv() was WSAEWOULDBLOCK. The socket is set for overlapped IO and is a datagram socket. MSDN documentation says that means there are too many outstanding overlapped IO requests. I don't know if "too many" applies to just this socket or to the system as a whole. The documentation isn't clear about how to handle the return code in this situation.

We don't need to know if this is a Kernel issue, a bug in winsock, or an undocumented behaviour. Regardless, it can be treated as a fault.

Knowing that it is possible for WaitForMultipleObjectsEx to lock up means that it is not safe to call with an INFINITE timeout. The workaround that's being discussed is beginning to look like the one at line 172 of socket.c. It's bad enough that there is a WSASend in pgwin32_waitforsinglesocket(). I doubt you also want to add a WSARecv. There should be a cleaner way to handle both of these situations.

I am planning to eventually kill the stats collector and see if that clears up the hanging issue, but I want to keep the system state in place for a bit longer in case there is some other diagnostic steps I should try. I've exhausted everything I could think of.

-Luke