Autovacuum Logging

From: Will Reese <wreese(at)rackspace(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Autovacuum Logging
Date: 2006-04-27 03:47:26
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Is there a reason many of the most useful autovacuum.c elog
statements are set to DEBUG2? It seems to me that these should be
set to LOG.

I used autovacuum when it was a contrib module, and it failed after a
month. To prevent major performance problems I went back to the
daily vacuum. I was looking forward to using autovacuum in 8.1 since
it is more resilient and configurable now, but when I noticed it
would not log it's activities I almost decided against it. After
looking at the source code it seems that all the necessary logging is
built in, it's just not set to the appropriate log level. I'm sure
I'm not the only person interested in this, and I saw somewhere (I
can't find it again) that EnterpriseDB has enabled autovacuum
logging. I don't think it's too verbose to change these to the
normal log level, but if so could it be a postgresql.conf option to
enable/disable autovacuum logging? It sure would be nice to be able
to verify that tables are being vacuumed properly without having to
set the log level to DEBUG2.

Will Reese -- http://blog.rezra.com