Re: Install issue on Kubuntu

From: Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com>
To: P G <pgress5(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Install issue on Kubuntu
Date: 2006-04-27 03:34:02
Lists: pgsql-general

P G wrote:

> I have recently switched to Kubuntu and I just installed Postgres on
> it. The installation was successful.
>
> When I try psql, I get this error message, though:
>
> % psql postgres
> Error: You must install at least one postgresql-client-<version> package.
>
> But I have installed postgresql-client-common and re-installs do not
> seem to help.
>
> Any suggestions?

Does /etc/postgresql-common/user_clusters exist? If not, you have struck a
known bug in the Ubuntu packaging that I was told has since been fixed. An
update should fix things (sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade).
Or 'sudo /etc/postgresql-common/user_clusters' will get you going.

If this doesn't help, you can open a support request at
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-8.1/+tickets

Or, if you think you know what is going wrong, a bug report at
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/postgresql-8.1/+bugs might be
more appropriate.

--
Stuart Bishop <stuart(dot)bishop(at)canonical(dot)com> http://www.canonical.com/