Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary

From: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
To: 'Andrew Dunstan' <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: registry vs. environment (was re:binary
Date: 2004-02-12 22:53:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> I'm not clear *which* settings it is proposed to set in the registry,
> nor how possible it will be to override the settings, and with which
> mechanism.

I pretty much agree with Andrew here. Frankly, I think this whole discussion
"registry vs env" is a bit pointless.

What *exactly* does anyone think will need to be put in the registry?

Surely, our Win32 service wrapper can just allow something like this:

postgres /regserver servicename <command line args go here>

So, if I want to have multiple servers registered, I could do:
postgres /regserver MyPGServer_1 -D c:/data1
postgres /regserver MyPGServer_2 -D c:/data2
and so on.

(FWIW, I'm doing this already)

And of course, you can always run another instance from the command line, or
have a single instance registered that takes all its args from the
environment, or ...

Cheers,
Claudio

---