Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being monitored ... ?

From: "hubert depesz lubaczewski" <depesz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How are ppl monitoring PostgreSQL ... ? What is being monitored ... ?
Date: 2006-06-11 15:10:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 6/10/06, Marc G. Fournier <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> The subject kinda says it all ... I know there are SNMP patches available
> out there now, but without those ... ?

i can tell you what we do monitor:
1. general server things (free disk space, cpu-idle, load, memory used, swap
used, context switches, io operations, sockets in state close_wait).
2. db stuff:
- numer of transactions per second
- database size
- size of specific tables/indices that we know have nasty tendency to grow
- number of objects in database
- duration of longest query
- replication lag (in events, and in time)

to make mrtg graphs of db stuff we made some perl scripts, which are bound
to snmp using snmp's "exec" feature. then we just grab the values using mrtg
and draw. quite simple actually.

depesz

--
http://www.depesz.com/ - nowy, lepszy depesz