Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing platforms... issues?

From: Mark Mikulec <mikulec(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Backup and restore from 7.4.1 to latest, crossing platforms... issues?
Date: 2005-07-27 04:27:41
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi there,

This may be a stupid question but I feel I should ask it anyway just to be
sure, since I've had problems in the past.

I currently have a defunct Debian 3.0 system running PostgreSQL 7.4.1, in
which I am going to do an entire blob backup dump of all the databases in
hopes to restore them on my new, more secure system running the latest
OpenBSD, and PgSQL 8.0.

So my question is: Are they any issues that I should be aware up restoring
on a more recent version of PgSQL, and/or issues using a completely
different operating system altogether? I have some strange pg language
mishaps going from 7.2 to 7.4 last backup, although frightening, I overcame
them with some fiddling.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

--