Any tutorial or FAQ on building an extension?

From: Matt Culbreth <mattculbreth(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Any tutorial or FAQ on building an extension?
Date: 2009-08-11 15:26:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello Group,

I'd like to build an extension to PostgreSQL. It will intercept
queries and perform some transformations on the query and on the data
returned, given some business rules that the users have specified.

What's the best way to do this? It seems like if I model the pgpool-
II architecture that would be a good start. That way existing clients
don't really know that they are talking to my application instead of a
real PostgreSQL postmaster. My app won't be written in C but I
suppose I could start with this approach.

Is there an easier way of going about this other than replacing the
postmaster / postgres components?

Thanks for any pointers,

Matt