Re: Using Random Sequence as Key

From: "Bernardo de Barros Franco" <electric_csf(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Using Random Sequence as Key
Date: 2001-04-16 22:30:42
Lists: pgsql-sql

It is a good way to solve it but since I don't want/can't use cookies in my
application I could use only the random key but it would have to be unique
or the where key=$key could refer to multiple lines or I would have to ask
for the user to input both the random and the serial number wich wouldn't be
very good either. That's the reason I've being trying to make a random key
wich would be unique so I could ask for the user to type his order code and
then select info from orders where ordercode=$ordercode and not have the
risk of getting multiple answers (more then one line with that ordercode) or
someone typing his ordercode-1 and accessing someone elses form.
Ok, if I don't use a password or other protection even with random users can
keep trying to guess but I don't have much of a problem with someone
accessing someone else's form, I just don't want the user to let's say type
his ordercode and by mistake type the last char say 1 less then his own and
access someone else form and be completely lost. With random that still can
happen but it is so less likely that will do.

Thank you

Quoting: