Re: About PostgreSQL certification

From: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Theo Schlossnagle <jesus(at)omniti(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Iannsp <iannsp(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Subject: Re: About PostgreSQL certification
Date: 2007-01-23 22:09:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 23, 2007, at 5:04 PM, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> Theo Schlossnagle wrote:

>>> Clueful clients will look unfavorably on any "PostgreSQL
>>> certification" you have. They will instead insist on experience and
>>> references, as clueful clients do. :)
>> I don't believe that's true. Oracle certification means quite a
>> bit. Cisco certification is excellent. Sun certification is
>> decent. If the PostgreSQL certifications don't mean much it is a
>> problem with the particular vendor of the certificate and you (as
>> a PostgreSQL entity) should contest their right to use PostgreSQL
>> name in their advertising or marketing. Certification programs
>> can and should mean something.
>
> Certification is ok - but is only of actual value when combined
> with real experience. The reason I say this is that certification
> programs in general can be beaten by various techniques (e.g.
> friends, online research, guessing etc). Also over time they are
> rendered (almost) useless by the (lucrative) side businesses that
> come into being (e.g. 'boot camps', mock exams etc).

Get a CCIE and tell me that again :-) When you are handed a
complicated network of routers and switches running all sorts of
version of IOS and CatOS and you go to lunch, they break it and you
have a certain time allotment to fix it all.

Most certifications are not simple multiple choice quizes. Just the
ones you hear about -- the ones that suck.

> I think seeing relevant training courses + experience on a CV
> trumps certification anytime - unfortunately a lot of folks out
> there are mesmerized by shiny certificates....

Sure. But experience is very hard to get. And since people with
PostgreSQL experience are limited, companies adopting it need a good
second option -- certified people.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// CTO -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/