Detecting if the DB is in backup mode or not

From: <Adam_Crews(at)McAfee(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Detecting if the DB is in backup mode or not
Date: 2010-06-02 15:28:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I am running pg 8.3, and I'm working on some scripts to take online backups of the database with backup mode and netapp snapshots. I can successfully run the pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup functions, but how to I query to see what mode the DB currently is in? If my script fails to run the stop_backup, I'd like to have some external monitoring that can alert me to the database being stuck in backup mode.

Thanks
-Adam