Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification

From: Kouhei Kaigai <kaigai(at)ak(dot)jp(dot)nec(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: Upper planner pathification
Date: 2016-03-15 01:21:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Regarding to the (2), I doubt whether the location is reasonable,
because pathlist of each upper_rels[] are still empty, aren't it?
It will make extension not-easy to construct its own CustomPath that
takes underlying built-in pathnodes.

For example, an extension implements its own sort logic but not
interested in group-by/window function, it shall want to add its
CustomPath to UPPERREL_ORDERED, however, it does not know which is
the input_rel and no built-in paths are not added yet at the point
of create_upper_paths_hook().

On the other hands, here is another problem if we put a hook after
all the upper paths done. In this case, built-in create_xxxx_paths()
functions cannot pay attention for CustomPath to be added later when
these functions pick up the cheapest path.

So, even though we don't need to define multiple hook declarations,
I think the hook invocation is needed just after create_xxxx_paths()
for each. It will need to inform extension the context of hook
invocation, the argument list will take UpperRelationKind.

In addition, extension cannot reference some local variables from
the root structure, like:
- rollup_lists
- rollup_groupclauses
- wflists
- activeWindows
- have_postponed_srfs
As we are doing at set_join_pathlist_hook, it is good idea to define
UpperPathExtraData structure to pack misc information.

So, how about to re-define the hook as follows?

typedef void (*create_upper_paths_hook_type) (UpperRelationKind upper_kind,
PlannerInfo *root,
RelOptInfo *scan_join_rel,
UpperPathExtraData *extra);

Thanks,