RE: 7.1b6 - pg_xlog filled fs, postmaster won't start

From: "Gordon A(dot) Runkle" <gar(at)no-spam-integrated-dynamics(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: 7.1b6 - pg_xlog filled fs, postmaster won't start
Date: 2001-03-21 20:24:24
Lists: pgsql-general

In article
<8F4C99C66D04D4118F580090272A7A234D3340(at)sectorbase1(dot)sectorbase(dot)com>,
"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com> wrote:

>> Is it OK to delete the files from pg_xlog? What will be the result?
> It's not Ok. Though you could remove files numbered from 000000000000000
> to 0000000000012 (in hex), if any.

OK, thanks. Is there any documentation on these files, and what
our options are if something like this happens?

>> Will I be able to avoid this problem by splitting the load data into
>> multiple files?
> Yes if you'll run CHECKPOINT command between COPY-s. You could also
> move logs to another FS. Vadim

I have the logs in /home/pgsqldata, and created another
location in /home2/pgsqldata for the database. Still
managed to fill it up. It's a *big* file.

With other RDBMS products I use, DB2 and Sybase, there
are options in the import/load/bcp utilities which commit
every n records, selectable by the user. I think having
a feature like this in COPY would greatly facilitate
data migrations (which is what I'm doing, and the reason
for such a big file). What do you think?

Thanks,

Gordon.
--
It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster.
-- Greg LeMond