RE: PostgreSQL on Win32

From: Sean Mitchell <mitchell(at)chrs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: RE: PostgreSQL on Win32
Date: 1999-08-19 13:55:32
Lists: pgsql-ports

>> I've tried to get PostgreSQL running on Windows NT using
>> CygWin as described in the PostgreSQL documentation with
>> quite a few problems, some relating to
>> Cygwin, some to Postgres itself.

> There was one big problem with freezeing the backend caused
> by the cygipc library which could be fixed now.

I'm running cygipc v1.03. Is this the buggy one? It looks like it hasn't
been modified in a while.

I've actually successfully compiled and run postgreSQL on windows NT... RTML
worked on the third try <grin>.

So now I've got it up and running under Cygwin b20.1 on a P166 w/ 64 megs
RAM and I'm using the Insight ODBC drivers (v6.40.0006) to connect Access to
it on the same machine.

In preliminary testing, with one table (35,000 records) I'm finding it quite
slow, possibly too slow to actually use in production. However, I'm
wondering if this could be due to any of the following:

[1] Running the db and the client on the same machine. (I only have one NT
machine available at the moment so that's my development platform.)

[2] Cygwin is slow (although psql client queries seem to be quite
acceptable).

[3] The Insight ODBC driver.

[4] I've no indices on my test table.

My testing consists of making a copy of an existing table in Access and
doing "stuff" to the original table and the copied (PostgreSQL/ODBC) table.
"Stuff" is simple things like inserting a record, deleting a record (which
fails because another user allegedly modifies it), modifying data, sorting
the table, etc. I think that point [4] would only come into play for the
sorting part.

> In my opinion the cygwin port is stable enough (in the core
> functionality tested by the regression tests) now but it is
> a relatively new port and the last known problem is being
> fixed right now.

Quite a few of the regression tests failed. Is this normal, or should I
submit a bug report?

I'm still interested to know if anyone Out There has a working Win32
Postgres database doing real work.

Cheers,

Sean