Updating pg_attribute - Permission denied

From: "Trewern, Ben" <Ben(dot)Trewern(at)mowlem(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Updating pg_attribute - Permission denied
Date: 2000-10-20 17:04:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I was trying to update attnotnull = 't' in the pg_attribute to add Not Null
constraint to a table. It gave me a Permission denied.

Is this standard? Am I not allowed to change system catalogues (I am using
the postgres superuser!) I thought I had heard this would work. Or can you
only change attnotnull to false i.e. remove a not null constraint? I
suppose this would make some kind of sense, as there could already be Nulls
in the field.

Thanks in advance

Ben