Re: Column Ordering

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, Ashish Karalkar <ashish(dot)karalkar(at)info-spectrum(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Column Ordering
Date: 2007-09-10 20:15:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

--- Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov> wrote:
> > I want to add another column by altering the table at 2nd position
> > Is there anyway to do so.
>
> No. However, you could create a view with the column ordering you want,
> after adding the new column.

This feature is on the to-do list. But there isn't any ETA for when we should expect it. I am
pretty sure it isn't included in version 8.3.

So I guess that this feature could be expected over the next couple of years in versions 8.4 or
8.5(9.0?).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html#section_8

See bullet: "Alter" and sub-bullet: "Allow column display reordering ..."

Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.