Re: Postgres logs to syslog LOCAL0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: han(dot)holl(at)informationslogik(dot)nl, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres logs to syslog LOCAL0
Date: 2005-10-14 15:06:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

> I don't see any SELECT: entry in there. In fact, SELECT: is coming from
> syslog, not from PostgreSQL. We only generate the stuff after the
> closing ].

The SELECT: is probably coming from syslog_ident. I note the following
comment in the Linux man page for syslog(3):

The parameter ident in the call of openlog() is probably stored as-is.
Thus, if the string it points to is changed, syslog() may start
prepending the changed string, and if the string it points to ceases to
exist, the results are undefined. Most portable is to use a string
constant.

This is troubling since a reload of the config file could well move
things around. We should probably pass strdup(Syslog_ident) to openlog,
not just Syslog_ident.

However, that doesn't explain the change in facility ...