Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity

From: Henrique Pantarotto <scanner(at)cepa(dot)com(dot)br>
To: "Oliver Elphick" <olly(at)lfix(dot)co(dot)uk>, Guan Yang <guanix(at)softhome(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Installation simplicity
Date: 1999-10-18 13:15:37
Lists: pgsql-announce pgsql-general

On seg, 18 out 1999, Oliver Elphick wrote:
> Guan Yang wrote:
> >I have just downloaded the Solid Embedded Engine database from
> >www.solidtech.com. Installing Solid was a breeze - a single file to
> >untar, two commands to run (create initial database, start database
> >server), and I was running!
> >
> >Compare this to the nightmare (for some people, at least) of installing
> >PostgreSQL. Yes, that includes compiling, which is complex in itself,
> >but I think that PgSQL installation could be much simpler.
> >
> >Does anybody have ideas as to how this could be accomplished?
>
> Use a pre-built package, such as the Linux packages from Debian or Red Hat.
>
> What you really seem to be asking for is that such packages be available
> at ftp.postgresql.org for all possible platforms. A commercial organisation
> has to do this, because they don't release source code. The downside is
> that only a limited set of platforms are supported.

I've installed and compiled many "source" applications in my life and I must
confess that PostgreSQL installation procedure was one of the most confusing
ones. Qmail was also confusing. Apache or even MySQL are very simple and
should be taken as an example.

But once you get it installed, PostgreSQL is great! ;-)

--
Henrique Pantarotto
CEPAnet Internet Provider