Re: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & why ?

From: Lincoln Spiteri <lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com>
To: ralli(at)poboxes(dot)com, jwlo(at)ms11(dot)hinet(dot)net
Cc: dpatel(at)Synopsys(dot)COM, pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] For data based web site, which RDBMS is better & why ?
Date: 1999-05-20 07:01:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have deployed Postgres on Linux for such an application (Real estate). I have
a java app for data input and PHP interfaces for searching and all other sorts
of things. Its been running for a year now. No complaints with speed, I run
linux in text mode so it is very lightly loaded. To boot I also provide mail,
ldap and web services to the office as well as common directories with samba.

The good thing that as soon as my clients want to run some pages on the web
most of the work will be already done.

Regards

Lincoln

On Wed, 19 May 1999, ralli(at)poboxes(dot)com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new on this list.
>
> I am in a process of Outsourcing for Development of a data based
> web site for Real Estate.
>
> Some database experts have informed me that PostgreSQL is the best.
>
> My web developer says MySQL is ideal for my requirement,( may be he
> doesn't know
> PostgreSQL ).
>
> Here is a mail that says that for some advance features limitations,
> Dinesh wants to port PostgreSQL to NT.
>
> Can some experts , users or gurus provide me some insight or
> guide me to some pointers where impartial comparative analysis of
> RDBMS has been done.
>
> Thanks
>

> Rakesh Ralli
> http://welcome.to/ralli
>

> Kevin Lo wrote:
> >

> > Dinesh Patil wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi, Dinesh,
> >
> > > I am working on Postgres currently but we will be replacing postgres with
> > > another database for advanced features and different platforms like Windows
> > > NT
> > > where postgres cannot be used.
> >
> > You can port PostgreSQL to NT :) please see my page:
> >
> > http://members.tripod.com/~kevlo/postgres/portNT.html
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> > Kevin.

Lincoln Spiteri

Manufacturing Systems
STMicroelectronics, Malta

e-mail: lincoln(dot)spiteri(at)st(dot)com