Ampersands in the output...

From: "Schuhmacher, Bret" <Bret(dot)Schuhmacher(at)Aspect(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Ampersands in the output...
Date: 2005-01-12 23:20:41
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I'm using postgres to return business names via a function. In the
function I "xml-ify" the output by taking the name and wrap it with
start/end tags, as in "<name>name</name>" (there's a lot more to this
and I'm simplifying greatly). However, the problem is that some of the
names have "&" in them, like "Joes Bar & Grill", which really should be
escaped in XML.

Any ideas how to escape those things before they get to the recipient
(i.e. my application, IE, Mozilla, etc.)? Is there a built-in function
or something I could make use of? I suppose I could write a little more
code in my function to look in the field and try to do a string replace
or something, but is that the most efficient method?

Thanks in advance! :-)

Bret