Re: Re: Which Front End for Postgresql

From: Tony Grant <tony(at)animaproductions(dot)com>
To: Per-Olof Pettersson <pgsql(at)peope(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Which Front End for Postgresql
Date: 2001-05-16 07:09:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 16 May 2001 02:59:02 +0000, Per-Olof Pettersson wrote:

> Redhat is sort of an industry-standard beqause it is relatively easy to
> configure but I would personally not recommend it for a Server-OS.
>
> As for the choice of filesystem.
> ext2 (which most linux use) has somewhat poorer performance on
> character-writing than eg UFS (which FreeBSD use) but I think the
> programmers on PostgreSQL have solved this with good caching and
> block-writing-routines ;-)

Funny thing is that SGI have rpms for RedHat XFS install... XFS is a
server file system is it not?

RedHat can be made into a server OS it just takes some work. Read the
excellent http://www.linuxdoc.org/links/p_books.html#securing_linux

I use it because it was the first CD in a 6 cd set I bought. I have
tried others (I ran Suze for about 10 months on a server and I found
that to be worse...). Debian and Slackware have a reputation of being
too hard to install.

I would personnaly choose FreeBSD for the PostgreSQL server and RedHat
as the client workstation.

Cheers

Tony Grant

--