Re: GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking

From: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Martin A(dot) Marques" <martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar>, Trond Eivind Glomsrød <teg(at)redhat(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GPL, readline, and static/dynamic linking
Date: 2001-02-22 21:36:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mensaje citado por: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>:

> > > This was discussed extensively earlier. Linking dynamically or
> > > statically doesn't make a difference in the case of a library, but
> as
> > > long as readline is an optional feature for the user it's not a
> > > problem.
> >
> > I agree with Trond on this. It's like the problem that PHP had with bc
> until it
> > got LGPLed. All they did was say you could compile PHP with it, but
> you had to
> > downloaded by ourself.
>
> Yes, we don't distribute libreadline. We just check in 'configure' for
> it.

In that case, I would say that there is nothing to discuss. RMS has nothing to
say about this.
The only problem would be if Postgres would be distributed with libreadline.

Saludos... :-)

System Administration: It's a dirty job,
but someone told I had to do it.
Martín Marqués email: martin(at)math(dot)unl(dot)edu(dot)ar
Santa Fe - Argentina http://math.unl.edu.ar/~martin/
Administrador de sistemas en math.unl.edu.ar