Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: GUC time unit spelling a bit inconsistent
Date: 2007-06-18 16:31:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> - I was bitten by this too, not long ago, and took me a while to
> understand why. Should we at least log a HINT or something?

Yeah, a HINT listing the allowed spellings of the unit would go a long
way here.

> However, preffixing with M or K does not work:

It's case-sensitive. We had that argument already, but I still think
this decision was wrong.

> - In shared_buffers, these work:
> 8MB
> 8 MB

> These don't work:
> 8M B
> 8 M B

Looking at the code, spaces before the unit are allowed, but not spaces
within or after. I agree with disallowing embedded spaces, I think,
but not allowing trailing spaces is inconsistent with our practice in
other cases (in particular, these very same variables, when written as
pure numbers...)