Re: Linking with -lc not a good idea

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linking with -lc not a good idea
Date: 2003-12-19 16:02:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I noticed that pltcl.so is now always linked with -lc. That is normally not a
> good idea with gcc, because gcc figures out its own order of -lgcc and -lc.

Since no actual problem has been reported, either in 7.4 or in the
previous releases that had -lc for many platforms, I'm disinclined
to change this in the stable branches. Feel free to take out the -lc
in HEAD, though, and we'll see if anyone complains.

I cannot recall at the moment if -lc was actually needed on Darwin;
if so we could consider adding
SHLIB_LINK += -lc
in Makefile.shlib's darwin case, as is already done for some other
platforms.