Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections

From: dg(at)illustra(dot)com (David Gould)
To: dz(at)cs(dot)unitn(dot)it (Massimo Dal Zotto)
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] keeping track of connections
Date: 1998-06-08 22:22:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, David Gould wrote:
> >
> > > Oh, ok. Some suggestions have been made the the postmaster would open a
> > > connection to it's own backend to do queries. I was responding to this.
> > > I agree that we should just store the information in shared memory.
> >
> > How does one get a history for long term monitoring and statistics
> > by storing in shared memory?
> >
> > Marc G. Fournier
> > Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> > primary: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org secondary: scrappy(at){freebsd|postgresql}.org
>
> Why not simply append history lines to a normal log file ? In this way you
> don't have the overhead for accessing tables and can do real-time processing
> of the data with a simple tail -f on the file.
> I use this trick to monitor the log file written by 30 backends and it works
> fine for me.
>
> --
> Massimo Dal Zotto

I was going to suggest this too, but didn't want to be too much of a
spoilsport.

-dg

David Gould dg(at)illustra(dot)com 510.628.3783 or 510.305.9468
Informix Software (No, really) 300 Lakeside Drive Oakland, CA 94612
"Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any
good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats." -- Howard Aiken